Framing of my Paintings

I tend to frame my artwork with plain black frames and white mats. My thought is that my artwork is so colorful, that the simple look of the frame sets the painting off nicely, allowing the colors to shine and not be distracted by what surrounds it.

framed-12x15framed-art

However, there have been times that I have added a more ornate frame or a colored frame and I’m usually happy with those choices as well. But it is far and few between that I verge from the simple black frame.

Although lately I’ve been wanting to do something different. So some of my Dream Garden paintings have brightly painted frames like the one below which I like.

Meditation Garden

I wanted to do something different with my new Birch tree painting, I decided to go for a colored frame and colored mat.

I find it a difficult process to choose something beyond my ordinary black frame and it usually takes me awhile, trying different samples and holding them up against the painting and trying to visualize what the final will look like. I work closely with my Framer and value her opinion because she is the professional and knows what will work and what won’t.

This time I chose a yellow frame that my Framer suggested. It has a whimsical quality to it with little textured lines in it. I decided to use a pale yellowish mat with an inner darker yellow mat. I think the yellow picks up the yellow in the painting nicely and goes well with the light blue background in the art.

yellow frame

The Framer suggested we set the two mats off from each other by lifting the top mat off the bottom one by 1/8″ which creates some depth and more interest. I liked that idea.

Framed-BeStill,Listen

I think it came out really nice. I’ve been told it is much more beautiful in person than a photo can capture. I actually haven’t seen it yet in person as I am in Seattle still for another week. But it is hanging down at the Tumalo Art Co. gallery in Bend if you’re in the area and want to go take a look.

Maybe I’ll continue branching out with my framing and use some different choices like I’ve done with this work.  What do you think? I’d love to know your opinion. Do you like the simple black frames and white mats or do you think the colored matts and frame are better? Or do you think it just depends on the piece?

8 thoughts on “Framing of my Paintings

• April 10, 2010 at 9:09 pm

hi Lindy,

tonight, i stumbled across your blog and have saved it in my favs.

these three pieces that you have posted here are fantastic! i am a fan of black – Ikea – frames. they are simple and come with a mat, glass, etc. i find that they punctuate the art ‘therein’. 😉

i have to say though, the coloured frames on your particular palette are smashing. i’ll just go ahead and pick one out of the three, and say, the yellow one is my favourite. I LOVE this frame. it has the same whimsical quality as your art.

great stuff Lindy, and will visit daily. 🙂

Sherrill, Montreal, Quebec

• April 9, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your thoughts about my framing. I appreciate everyone’s honesty in what you like or don’t like. It sure is subjective, isn’t it? You help a lot though by giving me your opinion and I’m thankful!

• April 8, 2010 at 4:43 am

i’m sure it depends on your piece but i must say that i am gaga over the pieces framed in color here!! & that last one you show is one of my very fav’s by you ever, dear! it is GORRRRRRRRR-JUS! i am COMPLETELY in love with it!! i’d love to gift a family member with a print of it. LOVE! xoxox

• April 7, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I think it all depends on the the person buying your art. The black and white of course works with all of your art. The blue in red in the second picture is incredible! Matches the colors of the painting perfectly….The third one with the gold frame, I’m not a fan of, but just my opinion…

• April 7, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Lindy, The black frames are OK but the colored frame and matting really enhance your art. I think the black frame competes with your artwork. Since I like the wonderful, bright colors that you use, the colored framing would not bother me. Anyway, just one person’s opinion.

• April 5, 2010 at 7:04 am

I was amazed by the way the colored frames brought out the drama of your art, Lindy. The problem I would have, is knowing when a frame would fit in someone’s home. Would I buy a painting with a bright colored frame? Maybe. But would my collectors (if I actually had any) want a bright colored frame? I just don’t know.

I imagine it takes a leap of faith to place your trust in an experienced framer. It is their business, after all, so their opinion has to carry some weight. The colored frames are beautiful with your work.

I didn’t help, did I. *grin*

• April 4, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Here is an odd thing – I am sitting with my husband, watching a program that is partly in French. I looked at the birches painting and only saw the negative space – as if the trees were blue, and I found myself wondering why the trees were gold at their lowest, and why they narrowed so severely – it was only a few seconds before I saw what was really there, but it was very odd. I like the gold frame. I wonder if I’d have liked one that picked up the red, though – I wonder if it was the gold of the frame that took my eye straight back to the flowers in the background and resulted in my moment of insanity? I think the black frame and white mat for most things. For this, I agree that it needed more. The trees needed to be set off rather than perhaps overpowered by a lighter mat. I liked the shadow in the mat, too. But as far as the question – I think you need to take it by piece. Each of your paintings will want its own life. Just like children.