I have a big interest in nutrition, healthy living and self-improvement so when I discovered a website called Voyage to Betterment, I had to spend some time there to see what it was all about. It’s interesting how one’s path is led to certain topics of interest. I don’t even know now how I got to this website but it is very interesting! I’ve been watching the video they have there. I recommend it for watching. You can learn about staying healthy and adding years to your life! http://voyagetobetterment.com/
This also got me thinking about my own path to betterment. I came up with 25 ideas to lift your spirit which I share below.
1. Get outside and get some sun. The best vitamin D is from the sun! (all in moderation of course) And there’s nothing like being outside and breathing fresh air. You can go for a walk, sit outside and have lunch, take a nap under a tree, play with your dog, take your sketchbook to draw in or a book to read, the list goes on and on.
2. Try a new form of exercise. Try lifting weights or running or going for a bike ride. I’ve been doing yoga for years and have tried some new asanas (poses) that I don’t usually do. I’ve also gotten back into lifting some weights and added in some push-ups and sit ups to my routine to mix it up.
3. Plant flowers or start a garden. This year we’re too busy working on our house to have a veggie garden. Maybe next year. But we just bought some tomatoes and put them on our deck in colorful, ceramic planters. I can’t wait to be eating home grown tomatoes!
4. Try a new recipe. I sometimes like to take a recipe and substitute ingredients to see how I can change it but still make it taste good. When we were on a no wheat, no sugar diet, I made banana bread with oat flour, yogurt and flax seed instead of sugar and flour. It turned out great! I heard you can substitute applesauce for oil too. Try baking chocolate chip banana bread or pumpkin pecan muffins. Something yummy that will fill your kitchen with wonderful baking scents.
5. Open the windows and let the fresh breeze inside. I love it when I can smell the fresh air in our house. It makes me feel so much better to get the stuffy air out of our environment.
6. Take a course on learning to use your intuition or any workshop or class on a new technique or DIY project. I’m always inspired after I learn something new! You could also learn a new hobby like taking a watercolor class or organic gardening or learn a new language.
7. Buy some flowers or a plant for your home or office. Plants always lift my spirits with their colorful beauty and organic nature.
8. Call a friend that you haven’t spoken to in awhile and say hi. This will lift your spirit and theirs too.
9. Play. Play a game from your childhood like Crazy 8’s or monopoly. Try a new game like chess or backgammon. Then there is always Twister or Croquet. You’ll have a blast with your friends or family.
10. Change the furniture around. I like doing this to make things look different. I usually end up cleaning too. This always feels good to have a new look and a clean room.
11. Laugh. Find a cartoon website and read the comics. Huffington post has a great comedy section with funny videos.
12. Take time for yourself and have a “girly night”. Take a long bubble bath, do your nails, maybe paint your toenails a new color, put a facial mask on, the kind that you peel off. Try some highlights in your hair with a do it yourself kit. Enjoy being a woman that takes care of herself!
13. Meditate. I like this one because it’s taking time to slow down and relax. Enjoy 15 min. to yourself where you let go of all your worries, all your stresses. You could also do some visualization. Lay flat and clear your mind, relax all your body parts and imagine yourself in your favorite spot. Just relax. Imagine you are at the beach with cool ocean breezes wafting over your body or sitting on a mountain top and looking out at an expansive view of a beautiful mountain valley full of wild flowers.
14. Buy a room spray and spray your environment with soothing lavender or spicy patchouli. Burn a candle with your favorite scent. I like to sprinkle lavender oil on my pillow before I fall asleep. Ahhhhh. Love that!
15. Put music on and do some free form modern dance. I did this the other night. No one was watching. I just let my inhibitions down and moved. Boy, did that ever feel good! Just close your eyes and move to the music. I like listening to grooveshark.com for music.
16. Have a warm cup of tea or hot beverage. I like stopping what I’m doing and taking time to sit down and relax with some chamomile or mint tea. It helps rejuvenate me when I’m feeling low.
17. Get inspired by the written word. Read that book you’ve been meaning to take the time for. Write in your journal or read inspirational quotes or sayings.
18. Wear your favorite piece of clothing. That favorite t-shirt or pair of shoes you love to wear can help make you feel like, well, like you. I get a bit of joy every time I put on my favorite blue sweater. Greg calls it my “wobby” because it’s my comfy sweater that I feel good and secure in.
19. Do something physical. I mean really physical. Like hiking a hard trail or lifting some heavy weights. Get sweaty. There’s nothing like it to make you feel like you’re doing your body good.
20. Take a road trip. Get out of your routine and go somewhere you’ve wanted to go. That could mean hopping on a plane or taking a bus somewhere. One of the things I want to do is take the Verde Canyon train that is near where we live. Sounds fun to be on a train.
There website says, “…Asphalt, concrete and tension drift away as you slip into an unspoiled world where serenity and stimulation miraculously coincide. Running from Clarkdale to Perkinsville, the Verde Canyon Railroad is a stress-free four-hour wilderness adventure…at 12 mph.”
21. Volunteer. Helping others is a sure way to feel good and know that you are making a difference in the world.
22. Join a group. Being around other people with similar interests can lift your spirit. Join a mt. bike club or a spiritual or church group, maybe join a workout club or art guild.
23. Try reading a website that has good news for a change. It might bring you warm fuzzies. Try http://www.happynews.com/
24. Watch the sunset or the sunrise. Some evenings we like to take a picnic and walk to a favorite view point to watch the sunset as we snack on an appetizer and have a cool drink.
25. Repaint one of your walls a fun color, like turquoise, and buy inspiring art. Art can lift your spirit! I know the art I have around me brings me joy when I gaze at it.
What are some other ways you lift your spirit?
© 2012 Lindy Gruger, Namaste acrylic painting