Be Here Now

Sometimes, when I’m waiting for something, I have to remind myself to “be here now”. To be mindful that the present is where it’s at.

It’s easy to put myself into a stressful mindset, thinking about the future and where I want to be. And sometimes I can’t help myself to look back on the past to see how far I’ve been.

It’s this tug of war of past and future and that is where the stress comes in. If I can just relax and be where I am. In this moment, where everything is just fine, all will be well.

In this case, Greg and I are waiting to move to Prescott. We’re in this transitional period and sometimes we get a little antsy and wish we were further along then we are.

We are waiting on a house we put an offer on in Prescott, AZ. It’s a short sale house and you know how long those take! We want to hurry the process along but we just have to wait. Although we’ve put a deadline on ourselves that we will move on Oct. 31st even if the house doesn’t go through yet.

But when I start stressing about this whole situation,  I have to stop myself from living in the future or the past and remember to “be here now”.

I was looking at a print of my painting titled “See How Far We’ve Come” and I’m sure it represents Greg and I looking back at the path we’ve travelled.

"See How Far We've Come", Acrylic on Wood
"See How Far We've Come", Acrylic on Wood

We have done a lot in the last 4 years. We’re coming up on our 4 year anniversary of when we met each other.

It is fun to look back on past adventures and go through our photo albums of some of our trips. The memories bring joy and remind me that we are moving forward in pursuit of our dreams.

Yet, truly, it is the present, that we are living. The now. I keep reminding myself to live in this moment. Be happy with where I am and grateful for everything in my life.

I don’t want to be distracted by fretting about the future. I don’t want to miss out on what is in front of me right now.

It’s about trusting in the present and believing that everything is happening for us exactly when it is meant to happen. Yay! I like that idea. It’s so much less stressful to think that way too.

7 thoughts on “Be Here Now

• October 25, 2011 at 5:45 pm

And it will all work out as it should. Sometimes what we think is bad turns out to have been good.

Your art is just beautiful, the two birds painting expresses these thoughts of yours so well. Life is an adventure!

xx Lorraine xx

• October 23, 2011 at 9:29 am

Hi K,
    I know, we really wanted that house. But it’s looking like we will be getting a different one. I like to think there is something better. We have a couple options we’re looking at.

Can’t wait to move down there!

xo,
    L.

• October 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Wow. You really took a leap of hope with that house. Darn. Cam’s house was a short sale, and it took three or four offers (Cam’s offers, in rotation with others, offering more and being turned down) and a year’s time before he finally jumped at the right moment and caught it just before foreclosure. Drat and drat. I’m so sorry. But knowing the two of you, you’ve already bounced and are coming at it from another angle.

your point is very well taken. The funny thing is, I’m not usually looking forward to something in the future, but instead, looking forward with dread because of some event or trip that any normal person would be anticipating with excitement. I feel paralyzed – like I can’t DO anything because I’m going to leave, and while I’m gone, I won’t be able to do anything – and flying scares me – and I waste so much of the present fretting about what might happen that I am a self-fulfilled prophecy.

Looking forward and saying, “I’ll be happy when . . .” is also a waste of life, as you point out. You are still on an adventure, and you are alive and together. What is life more than this?

• October 13, 2011 at 10:21 pm

Well, the house we wanted went to a trustee auction today and the starting bid was more than the people owe on it so now the bank owns it….since now it’s in foreclosure, we don’t know when it will be listed for sale again. On to Plan B which we’ve been formulating. More later.
    xo,
    Lindy

• October 13, 2011 at 8:54 am

Living in the present, that is what we are all doing. I wonder why it is so hard for our hearts and minds to stay here. They are always out in front of us, or lagging somewhere behind.
    Ps. I hope you get the house!

• October 13, 2011 at 6:03 am

HI Lindy!
    I so needed to be reminded of that right now. As i commented before hubs and i are going thru the same transition moving from TX to CA. We too are in a holding pattern with our house sold but in limbo waiting for the next. Cooped up in a small apartment. If you look at my last post on my blog you can see what we’ve been doing to pass the time and try to enjoy the moment. Sending good thoughts your way girl. deb

• October 13, 2011 at 1:41 am

up to 11% discount for almost 200.000 hotels. I want to give to the users of this blog a great discount if they need to stay in any city in the world. Please contact me at hotels4allus@gmail.com for more details