"Leaning into Starlight" Whimsical Acrylic Painting

We have these cool starlight lanterns hanging outside on our deck. We bought them a few years ago in Mexico on one of our trips down there. I love them in the daylight and I especially love them in the evening. I was going to wait till this evening to take a pic of them but I couldn’t wait.

starlight lantern

These starry lanterns seem to have made their way into one of my paintings, hanging in the branches of whimsical trees.

I’m really fond of this painting below. It’s one of my favorites of the one’s that I’ve done recently. It’s titled “Leaning into Starlight”.

Leaning into Starlight

Leaning into Starlight
20″ x 30″
Acrylic on Wood
Unframed, $750

My favorite part of the painting are the trees leaning into each other and holding the star lantern. When I was painting it, I was thinking about the two trees being a couple and I liked that they leaned together, sharing the light.

Leaning into Starlight Detaildetail

I found out after I had painted these recent whimsical woodlands, that aspen trees grow in colonies and share the same root system underground. Wikipedia says “Each individual tree can live for 40–150 years above ground, but the root system of the colony is long-lived. In some cases, this is for thousands of years, sending up new trunks as the older trunks die off above ground.”

Sometimes you’ll see a stand of trees that have turned color but another stand that has not. I was told it was because the one’s that have their leaves all yellow share the same root system with the others so they all turn color at the same time. That surprised me to hear that because I’d never thought of that before. I like this.

I’m now calling my whimsical tree paintings aspens rather than birch. I read online that birch don’t like hot, dry areas and since we live in the high desert I’m sure these are aspens. Although mine have no leaves. Yet. Maybe I’ll try some with leaves. What do you think? Do you think my trees need leaves?

Soon I’m going to make a greeting card of this painting as well as some for my other magical woodlands paintings.  When I have them ready, I’ll list them in my Etsy Shop.  You can find an 8.5″ x 11″ print of this painting in my Etsy Shop now. Hope you enjoy “Leaning into Starlight”.

3 thoughts on “"Leaning into Starlight" Whimsical Acrylic Painting

• August 4, 2010 at 4:14 am

i love your lantern inspiration!
    i can see how these trees would lean in
    & how heart happy i am
    to lean in too ~
    to such a starlight,
    to such old & loving trees,
    to your art
    & light
    & sweet friendship.
    xox

• July 30, 2010 at 6:47 am

I do like your painting! I’ve heard aspens referred to ‘the quaking aspens’ cause of the noise their leaves make when they russle. I heard we’ve been losing alot of aspens not sure if its because of disease or bugs though. I think you should experiment with leaves. It would be fun.

I love those stars too. I have a glass one in my living room. And i’m on the search for a larger one to use for my porch light. Deb

• July 29, 2010 at 10:53 pm

And I think you’re having just too much fun. Of course they are aspens. Although the lines on the trunks look like birch bark coming off. But aspens grow in my yard, and are coming up in my son’s yard like happy weeds. I just rode through a couple of mountains’ worth of aspens – they were very white and black, these- not healthy, but striking with their very white trunks and their very black branches – like thin women dressed in very white dresses with black, elbow length gloves.

Sometimes the trunks grow strangely – they will take an odd curve – perhaps having grown around another tree when they were very little – and now the other tree is gone. A sudden S a foot off the ground, as though the tree had changed its mind about where the light was coming from – a couple of times.

I could have told you about the root systems. People are like that, too – which is why behaviors run in them.

I have seen those lanterns before. They are really quite stunning and I’m glad you didn’t wait. Though you could have, seeing that I’m up WAY too late again, with the promise of poor sleep for the next couple of hours. Maybe I’ll think about the colors on the rings of your trees, and that will sooth my deep mind.

And so strange that the leaning trees would seem to you like couples. I wonder what ever put a thought like that into your head?