Traveling to Todos Santos

bajamap3

Last  Friday we camped at Playa Santispac on Bahía Concepción on the Sea of Cortez. We headed toward Todos Santos on Saturday morning. On this leg of our trip we traveled very long, straight stretches of roadway through a whole lot of nothing but desert for hours on end.

bajaroadtrip2-16

Although we did get to see some goats when we stopped for road construction work on the highway. You can barely make out the goat amongst the bushes below.

goat

We pulled over and ate a picnic lunch before we got to Ciudad Insurgentes near the Pacific coast.

roadtrip2-11

Finally we went through La Paz and it felt like we were almost there! The last 50 min. or so of roadway is a 4 lane highway, two lanes in either direction, that was built last year. It made for a quick ride into Todos Santos.

Below is a photo of the gate Greg built last year for our place. The bouginvilla has really grown!

roadtrip2-12And so have the banana trees!

roadtrip2-13

Over the weekend, I unpacked my art supplies and got my art table set up.

roadtrip2-14

My trusty studio companion, Belle, lounged around after the long ride, soaking up the atmosphere. Good dog.

roadtrip2-15

In my next blog post I’ll show you some photos of how much the plants have grown in our yard and what I’m painting in the studio this week. Bye for now.

5 thoughts on “Traveling to Todos Santos

• May 13, 2010 at 8:37 am

Thanks for the comments! I love hearing from you all.

Kristen, you crack me up. I would have to say my spray bottle is definitely a trusted companion as well.

Monique, I speak limited spanish but I’m learning…mostly vocabulary but I do okay with simple sentences. Greg does really well though so I rely on him a lot. Most people don’t speak english but we do find some who do and that helps too.

• May 11, 2010 at 7:43 am

Thank you for sharing your travels with us. The scenery is so beautiful! Looks like you are having lovely weather. Your descriptions make me feel as if I am traveling with you.

One question — Do you speak fluent Spanish or can you easily communicate in English?

• May 11, 2010 at 7:00 am

How wonderful! I used to spend a lot of time in La Paz, when I lived in So Cal. We flew there though, so I can’t imagine the journey. Thanks for sharing it. Your place is looking beautiful!

• May 9, 2010 at 9:11 pm

AH!! The astonishing Boug!! I loved them when we’d go to visit G’s parents in LA. They were even more scintillating a red through my odd yellow sunglasses. Greg’s arch is grand – just amazing. And now I am not worried about you anymore, because I think you are too far from trouble down there on that odd spit of land. Your place looks lovely, but then, I should have expected that. I love Belle. Funny, at first when you mentioned your faithful companion, I thought you meant your spray bottle.

• May 7, 2010 at 2:07 pm

i feel like i’m traveling right along with you and am so enjoying the journey (so much it is making me long for baja — haven’t been since my early teens)…i have so many questions about an “ex-pat” life, your house there and so on and i am loving your landscape paintings!